How did you get that internship?

I often get asked, how did you get that internship? I have been fortunate enough to have a variety of high profile internships that are coveted by many. My most recent was with Kleinfeld Bridal in New York. Many people know it from the TLC show, “Say Yes to the Dress.” Now how did I get an internship at a place like that? There were a few key moves on my part that helped me land the job.

1. I applied early. One night in October I couldn’t sleep and was randomly searching the internet. I came across a posting for summer interns and thought I would just send an inquiry email. It was a good thing I did! At that point they were already looking at resumes for the next summer.
  2. I followed up. Not only did I send the first email, but I made sure to respond quickly with my resume, and follow up a week later to check in on the process. It showed that I was very interested and took initiative.
  3. I did my research. Before my interview I did everything I could to get information on the company. I read their website, blogs and anything I could get my hands on that would tell me more. Knowing about the company you are about to walk into is a key part of preparation for your interview.
  4. I dressed the part. When getting ready for my interview I dressed for the company. Since it is a wedding dress shop, and they wear professional attire, I wanted to mimic both of those things in my look. I made sure to look conservative enough, while still showing I was interested in fashion, and current trends.
  5. I asked questions. During an interview it is important to remember you are not the only person being questioned. You want to make sure that you also believe that the internship would be a good fit for you. Asking questions also shows you are truly interested in what they have to offer you.
  6. I followed up with a thank you note. It is important to note the time that the person took to interview you. Often it is someone very busy, and their time is very valuable. It also reaffirms that you are interested and just appreciate the consideration.

Although this is not an exact formula, and I can’t guarantee that you will get the internship, it all can only help you!

2 thoughts on “How did you get that internship?

1. Words of wisdom, Lili. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I especially love (and appreciate) that you added step 2 (follow-up) and step 3 (research), two areas often overlooked. Thanks!

2. Hello,

I have an interview with Kleinfeld’s at the beginning of January. If you remember, would you mind spilling some of the questions she asked, or what the experience was walking in on your interview day. This is my absolute dream internship, and I want to be as prepared as possible. Feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks,

Alyssa Thompson