Things have a way of working out.

Last week was our fourth and final mock audition for the Broadway Dance Center Professional Semester.  After attending a theater, hip-hop, and contemporary mock audition, the 36 dancers arrived at the Disco (yes, Disco) audition clad in huge wigs, platform boots, and sparkly crop tops.  The audition lasted four hours and was performed in front of an impressive panel of BDC staff, famous choreographers, and a notable New York talent agent.  The audition began with a “dance cut” which consisted of partnering work (I’m so thankful for the ballroom classes through the Claremont Colleges!), then went to a “singing cut” and a final “acting cut.”

I entered the audition hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.  Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised to make it through all three rounds of the audition.  (The main criticism I was given was that I tended to “lead” my male partner during the dancing. What can I say? It’s the Scripssie within me, a true leader!).    I was overwhelmed with excitement when the talent agent offered me representation with her agency following the audition. My dancing dream is becoming a reality!

Which leads me to the heart of this post: do what you love.  I was very close to choosing a study abroad program in London over my semester-off to dance in New York City.  I felt pressured to study abroad because it was what most of my classmates were doing.  And while a semester in London would have been a truly incredible experience, I followed my gut.  Opportunities will come and go, and I feel that Scripps has prepared me to be confident in my decision, courageous in my plans, and hopeful for the future.  Things have a way of working out, if you put the work in!

One thought on “Things have a way of working out.

1. Going with what you love is a big (and courageous) part of the journey, Mary. I’m so glad you’re finding your way. We couldn’t be happier for you.