In the meantime

As I mentioned in my last post, my post-graduation plans became somewhat derailed when I did not get the internship I was hoping for, but new opportunities are opening up now that I have decided not to limit myself to returning to Copenhagen for my gap year. In fact, I’ve decided to utilize my college–town of a hometown, and focus my energy this summer on deciding on a Masters program in the right field for me.

Recently, I came across a few exciting internships just by looking up the dates for the Ann Arbor Art Fair (the largest art fair in the country –– I love attending every year because it involves art, good music, and great food!) It’s unlikely I will get one of the internships because the start date is before graduation, but it gives me hope that something will come together, and that there are plenty of local positions not necessarily listed on NIC or other internship/job search engines.

At the beginning of the semester, I made a list of the possible directions I could go – psychology, business, performance management, running away to Mexico… and now I have plans to put those options into action. While working in my hometown of Ann Arbor this summer, I will take psychology classes at the University of Michigan, and work with Autistic children as part of a study. This way, I can get some hands-on experience with the field of psychology. I will also continue to teach violin, and be working in the restaurant business to get an idea if I prefer those fields.

In the meantime, I’ve decided to focus completely on the next six weeks. This is the home-stretch, which means I need to maintain my GPA, write a killer thesis, and make sure to get my letters of recommendation in order. It’s tempting to day dream about the future, but what I do right now is what counts and will impact what I can and cannot do later on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *