Gap-Year is a Go

As a break from thesis (and running around the Inland Empire trying to have my hardrive transferred to another computer – long story short, my motherboard fried!) I have been planning and getting very excited for my ever-approaching gap-year before grad school.

I have decided to participate in BUNAC’s 6-month internship program in London, where I will be set up with a paid internship and work visa starting in October. They allow you to choose your three top areas of interest. Mine will be in psychology, arts management, or public relations. I decided this program is a great way to get hands-on experience in a field I’m interested in, earn some money, apply to grad schools, and TRAVEL the UK as far and wide as I’ve always wanted to. For the second half of my gap-year I hope to be in another country, but if I’m really inspired by my internship, I’ll take some preliminary courses in psychology before grad school.

Before making the decision to go with a liaison for a work-visa, always call the organization before handing in your application. I was comfortable using BUNAC because they have an excellent reputation, and are non-profit. They allow you to find your own paid internship, or you can use their services for a relatively small fee. From what I’ve heard, they make the visa-process a breeze for those who want to ensure that they can stay in a country for a prolonged period of time, and offer support throughout your stay. One of my favorite features of the program I discovered is that they organize meet-ups throughout the six months at various locations in the city for you to connect to other program participants and expats.

A dream internship I’ve been eyeing for the second half of my gap-year is in Tuscany, working on an estate in exchange for room, board (dinner and wine tasting every night with the guests of the estate), Italian lessons, cooking lessons with Tuscan chefs, and weekend trips in the area. Not sure if it’s in the cards for next year’s adventure, but a girl can dream, right?

On a side note to rising seniors – always back up your thesis!