5 Steps to finding an on-campus job, one step at a time

Finding an on-campus job can seem daunting. Getting back into school mode, while filling out applications and going to interviews can be overwhelming—at least it was for me. Anyone seeking an on-campus job, but does not qualify for work-study positions have the added challenge of finding specific positions that are open to non-work-study students. I got my first on-campus job in the spring semester of last year. This semester, I will be continuing to work as Professor Delmont’s research assistant. Here are five tips that will hopefully point you in the right direction if you are looking of an on-campus, non-work-study job.

1. Spend time on The Gateway. Look at all the different positions that are available, even if they are work-study. Scouring The Gateway helped me gain a better understanding of all the different kinds of jobs available to students. And, it helped me figure out what kind of job I would be most interested in.

2. Determine what kind of job you want to get. Some things to consider might include: flexible hours or concrete hours, working independently or working with peers and possible career interests.

3. If there is a job you really want, but is not offered to non-work study students, I would recommend contacting the person who posted the listing. Chances are they may have a volunteer position you could take. If the volunteer position is in an area you are really interested in, it might be worth it to ask if they see non-work study positions becoming available anytime in the future.

4. Talk to friends and talk to professors. Many professors have research assistants who help out with their academic projects. You could ask your adviser if they know of anyone who is looking for a research assistant or office aide. Chances are, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

5. Respond quickly. The sooner you turn in your application, the better. However, make sure that it the application is thorough and doesn’t have any typos. I often get so excited about new possibilities that I try to get everything done as fast as I can and it ends up not being my best work.

I hope this gave some of you a good start to finding a job. What have other people’s experiences been like? Has anyone else found a non-work-study job a different way?

2 thoughts on “5 Steps to finding an on-campus job, one step at a time

1. Laurel, you’re so right! It can be a stressful time for students, especially first year students who are just learning how to navigate a whole new world.

I also always recommend that students search and apply broadly; apply for anything you find appealing in some way. Maybe filing is a task you’re not particularly riveted by, but perhaps that filing job allows you to have a super flexible schedule. Even better, you could have a fantastic group of coworkers there to share your experience! On-campus employment doesn’t just help you cover your living expenses, it provides you with valuable experiences that will contribute to your success post-Scripps. The skill set you employ may not be specific to the job duties, but may be interpersonal skills you build or refine as a part of a team. Employers are seeking team players…

Keep an open mind, on-campus-job-searchers! Don’t forget, CP&R is here to help 🙂

2. After my first year, I found it best to line-up non-work-study jobs in the spring for the next academic year. Many offices offer internships to work-study and non-work-study students, and start advertising them around spring break. These jobs (like the Malott Commons Programming Associate, and Admissions Office Intern) allowed me to work with awesome staff and add pre-professional work experience to my resume.

It doesn’t help anyone who is in the search right now, but I hope that it helps (especially first-years!) to know that there are some great options on campus (not having work-study just means extra-vigilance and more planning ahead).