Hello, Stranger!

Class introductions were different for me this fall. When asked to state my year and major, I was confident in my answer: I am a sophomore and I dual major in English and legal studies. My answer was completely different just last year. In high school one of my best subjects was history, specifically global studies. Although I took the class my senior year, it was the first class I ever took that focused on current events and the contemporary issues that plague our modern society, such as genocide and nuclear warfare. I loved that class and it left a considerable impression on me. For a long time I wanted to major in history and international relations, what I believed would be a perfect segue into a career in politics or at least law school.

I am a “planner”. I enjoy planning everything down to even the minutest details. Before I started classes last fall I had eight Excel files saved on my laptop. They were titled “Fall 2011”, “Spring 2012”, “Fall 2012”… and so on. I had planned every semester from Fall 2011 to Spring 2015 complete with alternatives (Just in case a class I wanted to take filled up or was not offered that semester.) and even a list of potential work-study jobs. You probably think I am crazy and perhaps a little obsessive, but I find that a fair number of my fellow Scrippsies are also planners (though not quite as outrageous as myself). This past week I had the opportunity to meet a small handful of first year students and they are truly some of the most incredible people I have met. (One of them is a stand up comedian and she has been one for quite some time…and to think she is only eighteen years old!).

You all are very accomplished young women, and I am confident that no matter what major or career path you choose you will achieve great success as well as personal fulfillment. So my advice to you is this: Take it easy. I understand that you all have a huge burden on your shoulders – an unspoken responsibility to your parents, your family, your friends, your peers – but I would like to encourage you to take everything with a grain of salt this year. So the art history class you are taking is a lot more challenging than you expected. Take another one next semester – one difficult experience or bad grade is not necessary a red flag for you to change your major. Or say you are a perspective foreign languages major who finds that she enjoys her sociology class a lot more than her German class. Consider taking more classes in that area and perhaps even majoring in Sociology (Or dual majoring in Foreign Languages and Sociology, a winning combination!).

You have four wonderful, wonderful years ahead of you and most likely even more years between undergrad and grad school or your dream job. You do not, I repeat, you do not need to know all the answers now. I know it will be difficult, but try not to think too much now of your prospective major(s) or how your degree will be applicable in the future. For now, take it easy. Take that bookbinding class and join the lacrosse team and go to that mixer this afternoon. One of your main priorities now should be figuring out what you truly enjoy doing. Life is a marathon, so be prepared to encounter detours and be open to taking a different route. If you box yourself into a set four-year plan now, you will miss out on perhaps life changing opportunities. For instance, that survey class you took to fulfill your letters requirement could potentially persuade you to change your major from history to English!

What classes are you taking this semester? Do you enjoy one or two more than you expected?