Kicking Off Senior Year

Day three of classes have officially ended. Meaning that Claremont 4.0, round four, senior year—whatever you want to call it— is officially in full swing. I am absolutely ecstatic to be back on campus, but I have to admit, returning has felt distinctly different this time around. After the initial panic of actually being a senior (semi) subsided, I realized that the constant buzz of thesis and post-graduation plans hints towards a larger change. For these final semesters, my hopes, goals, and priorities have shifted in significant ways compared to previous years. For the first time in my college career, academic courses are not the dominating concern and focus around which everything else is structured. My classes are components of my life that compliment and support my various other pursuits and involvements. I am learning to divide and invest my time in activities that I find more meaningful while balancing the post-grad applications/job search that is already underway (cue: return of panic).

Understanding this change has caused me to reflect on my last three years in Claremont. Starting sophomore year in high school, I had resolved to be a science major and either pre-med or pre-pharmacy. From that point, I envisioned my future along those lines and felt confident in my sense of direction. When I arrived at Scripps, I immediately committed to Keck Science without so much as a glance at the other departments or courses of study. I was resolute in my decision and determined to begin on the path of a pre-med, biochemistry major. This is not a decision I regret. I genuinely like science and feel very comfortable and secure in the subject matter. The brilliant faculty, supportive environment, and unparalleled resources offered by Keck made these past three years an incredible learning experience. However, could I rewind time, I wish that as a first-year, I had given myself the opportunity to explore the range of options available to me at Scripps.

I am now a biology major hoping to work in global health and international development after graduation. My ambitions have obviously evolved drastically over time, and I have realized that several of the interesting, interdisciplinary majors at the Claremont Colleges could have prepared me wonderfully for this path. It took being in college for me to understand that your major does not necessarily have to correlate with or inform your career. Rather, the critical thinking skills and perspectives obtained through a Scripps education are transferable to any future aspiration and equip you with the confidence and intellectual curiosity needed to succeed. My advice to anyone entering college would be to test drive random classes in disciplines you may know absolutely nothing about. It will not only help you eliminate some general education requirements early on, but you may also unexpectedly stumble across something that you truly love. Had I done this as a first-year, I could very well have still ended up a science major—who knows—but I wish I had taken full advantage of the chance to experiment with all that Claremont has to offer instead of constricting myself with a narrow mindset. I’m interested to know how others choose their major(s). Was the basis of your decision preparing for a specific career path, or did you pursue a discipline that grabbed your interest? What motivated and guided you when selecting a major?

One thought on “Kicking Off Senior Year

1. I came to Scripps undeclared and thinking I would major in Anthropology. I really liked National Geographic, so Anthro seemed like it would be a really good fit to 18 y.o. Ariel. I took Intro to Anthro second semester my first year and realized that while I liked Anthro, and the professor of the course, I didn’t love it enough to devote the next 3 years to it. On a whim, I was also taking Heretics, Deviants and the “Other” in Early Christianity. I’d never considered RLST for a major and it wasn’t until I reflected on how much I loved that course out of all the experimental courses that I had taken over my first two years at Scripps that I added Religious Studies as a minor. If I could go back, I’d double major with it AND my self-designed Creative Writing major (which came about after I highlighted all the 5-C courses I found most interesting, and discovered that I was overwhelmingly interested in writing above most other things).