My (Newly Discovered) Career Values

Hello everyone! I recently took a career values test. The objectives, as outlined by the website, are: “To define factors affecting your career satisfaction; to determine the intensity of your feeling about these factors; to determine areas of value conflict and congruence; and to apply learnings from the Values Card Sort to your career decision.”

Here I’ve listed my top values, which fell under “Always Valued”, and the way the test defined each of them. Of course, these values may shift as I get out into the real world and get to test out different job situations, but for now I think they will be helpful to consider as I research and begin applying for different jobs.

1. Works with others: “Have close working relations with a group and work as a team to common goals”

2. Moral fulfillment: “Feel that my work is contributing to ideals I feel are very important”

3. Friendships: “Develop close personal relationships with people as a result of work activity”

4. Influence people: “Be in a position to change attitudes or opinions of others”

5. Honesty and integrity: “Work in a setting where honesty and integrity are assests”

6. Location: “Find a place to live (town or geographic area) conducive to my lifestyle, a desirable home base for my leisure, learning, and work life”

More and more I think San Francisco would be a great location to have a job and be living right out of college. Then again, so would London, Beirut, and quite a few other places…  (thanks to ams-net.org)

7. Diversity: “Work in a setting that includes individuals of diverse religious, racial or social backgrounds”

8. Knowledge: “Engage myself in pursuit of knowledge, truth and understanding”

9. Creative expression: “Be able to express in writing and in person my ideas concerning job and how I might improve it; have opportunities for experimentation and innovation”

10. Help Society: “Do something to contribute to the betterment of the world”

11. Public contact: “Have a lot of day-to-day contact with people”

12. Job tranquility: “Avoid pressures and “the rat race” in job role and work setting”

13. Change and variety: “Have work responsibilities frequently changed in content and setting”

I found my results really spot on, and encourage you to take the career values test yourself as you continue to reframe the way you’re thinking about careers and your career path. If you feel comfortable, I’d love to hear which values came out as most important for you in the comments below.

(thanks to legacyproject.human.cornell.edu)

Have a great week all!