Junior Year: Success

As I look back at the year that just ended, I look upon my junior year favorably.

When I was a young girl, I would scour the Internet for quotes I liked. I would write them all in a journal. Three journals later, I decided that I should stop. Since then, my mom had bought my books of quotes (arranged by themes). Every once in a while, I look back at these. In honor of the end of my junior year, I pulled together a list of quotes about success that I think embody some of the concepts mentioned at commencement, that embody how Scripps has taught me to think, be critical, and not always follow that “one” path to greatness.

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  – Winston Churchill

The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity. – Ayn Rand

I do always keep in mind that success is never actually defined in these quotes. I get to define it myself.

This year:
I have succeeded at thinking critically, involving myself and my peers and my professors in animated discussions over controversial topics, I have succeeded at working with my peers to deliver 12 issues of The Scripps Voice all over campus,I have succeeded at planning the 4th annual Relay For Life at the Claremont Colleges, I have succeeded in finding an internship, I have succeeded in running a campaign (even though I lost), I have succeeded in finding and maintaining wonderful friends, I have succeeded at completing all of my general education requirements to graduate, I succeed in making Dean’s List in the fall, I succeeded at mostly having good health.

Despite all the stress, frustrations, procrastination, anger, bad days, sick days, “feeling stupid days,” I have a lot to be grateful and thankful for.

I have succeeded. Correction: I am successful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *