Why It’s O.K. to be Homesick

I’m not someone who usually gets homesick. I’m the girl who lives for new adventures, longing for the thrill of immersing herself in a new place. But when I suddenly found myself over half-way done with packing, with the only major dilemma being how many shoes I will allow myself to bring to Europe, my stomach felt uneasy.

This summer, I will take my first steps into the professional media world, and I am suddenly nervous about it! I find myself asking: Will I like my boss? Will my tasks be interesting? Will I be up to the job? It is nerve wracking to go into a new work environment, without knowing exactly what to expect. The only thing I can do is maintain confidence in myself.

But last night, I wasn’t only nervous about my job. I felt sad about leaving my family. I have a seven-year old sister who I won’t see in a year, because I am studying abroad. As I hugged her goodnight last night, part of me sunk inside at the thought of missing her grow up a little. I also have a 95-year old grandmother who recently fell ill, and is now in the hospital. I visited her yesterday and was overwhelmed with how weak she now is. I want her to be there for me when I return.

I know that while I’m in Europe, I will make my own family. I will be able to spend more time with my boyfriend and develop relationships with friends I already have, while also meeting plenty of new people. And I love meeting new people. I am lucky to have some family in Germany that I can visit. I also have a good grasp on the German language. These are luxuries that other visitors may not have. And yet, it’s times like these that make me wish that it didn’t take 10 hours to fly to Germany.

It is too easy for me to get lost in a new city, forging my own way, and forgetting about what I’ve left behind. By forgetting a little, I don’t get as homesick. While abroad this year, however, I want to make sure I see my sister grow into a second grader and see my grandmother make a recovery. This summer, I hope to succeed at my internship, as well as have a wonderful time in Munich in my off-hours. Most importantly though, I want to make sure I stay connected with people at home, because they are the ones who encouraged me to follow my dreams, leading me here.