Rainy Day Musings

I’m sitting in my apartment, avoiding one of Munich’s never-ending rainstorms. It doesn’t seem to want to stop, and some cities in Germany are even flooded. The grey weather gives me the opportunity to reflect on tomorrow, my first day of work.

I feel like I should be more prepared—my Internet hasn’t been set up, I’m waiting for a micro-sim card to be sent for my phone, and I need to buy a ticket that will allow me to use public transportation to get to work. What’s more? I’m recovering from a cold. All of these items have been weighing on my mind today, and I feel a downpour of stress.

I get nervous when it comes to firsts—and I am nervous about tomorrow. I’m not sure what to expect, and it makes me feel both exhilarated and anxious. And before today, I haven’t had much time to think about my summer in Munich.

I mentioned that I was traveling to Vienna—the trip allowed me to explore a new city with my boyfriend, and additionally was the escape I needed to keep me from getting too homesick. In Vienna, I explored the city’s churches, including St. Peter’s church, visited museums, including the Leopold Museum and the masterworks art collection at Schloss Belvedere, and I tasted original Wiener schnitzel and wurst, among many other activities.

Despite how much I fell in love with Vienna, I was happy to return to Munich. I’ve been in Europe for over a week, but it still feels like I’m dreaming. After planning for this summer for so long, it seems unbelievable that I’m actually here. So rather than join the football fans at Marienplatz today (FC Bayern Munich won the German Cup Final), or go shopping (something I already enjoy too much in Europe), I’m happy to sit under a warm blanket, safely inside. I think it’s a sign I’m ready for my internship. I’ve done enough moving—I’m ready to get into a routine in Munich and settle comfortably into my life here.