First Impressions

“You never get a second chance to make a first impression.”

I don’t know who said it, but I will always remember that. Ever since the first day of Kindergarten, my parents have given me what they call “the first day of school speech.” In short, they tell me that I never get a second chance to make a first impression. I’m to be on my best behavior, always say yes, wear a smile, look put-together (it’s always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed).

Because, whether you like it or not, people make judgments about you within 90 seconds. Proof comes from this very interesting infographic I came across in my interview prep.

It says that when you meet someone new, 55% of employers makes decisions and judgments based on the way you act, dress, and walk in the door. 65% of bosses say clothes are a deciding factor between two similar candidates. 26% say they are turned off when a handshake is too weak. I could go on and on, but you should look at it yourself. Basically, all the things that we like to think shouldn’t be important when deciding about a candidate, are in fact super important.

So besides the fact that I have received a “first day of school speech” from my parents once a year for 15 years, I also get it every time I go to an interview and when I start a new internship, including this one.

Even though I nod, don’t really listen and say “Thanks Dad. I got it.” It’s because after 15 years I don’t need it anymore, and I really do get it – and now there are statistics to back it up.