Week in Review

After a week of working at a fashion magazine, I have a better idea of what life as an intern can be like. My first day, I wore black skinny jeans, a chunky black necklace, and an orange tank top, topped off with black heels and a blazer. Feeling confident in my work outfit, I entered the office. I was immediately introduced to most of the colleagues on my floor, as well as some other interns. Though I still haven’t remembered everyone’s name, I am happy to say that the work atmosphere is friendly.

Even though fashion sounds glamorous, not all of the work is. Sometimes, I find myself with no tasks to do (as a result of an overflow of interns), which can be disappointing at times. I would like to play an active role, especially with a 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. workday. My job includes finding items in the basement, sorting magazines, sending mail, using the database, creating Excel lists, as well as the occasional translating job.

These were not exactly the tasks I had in mind when first starting here, but I try to stay positive because I know the position is more about the overall experience, and making connections. A big confidence booster is dressing up for work. It makes me feel more excited and polished for work, no matter which tasks end up filling my day. I also have the perk of free magazines from the publishing house.

I’m glad I know more about the work involved in publishing fashion magazines. Not everything is actually as glamorous as the final product, with its smooth, shiny cover, a celebrity smile, and gorgeous models. A great amount of work goes into making a company and its products successful, and now I can be a part of it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *