Learning from People in Power

So far, my internship has been a great experience. Each day, I have not only learned more about the company and how my team fits into the whole, but I have learned computer programs, the sales and advertising processes, and the various products sold. The company culture is one of hard work, dedication, laughter, and food. Lots of food.

One of the benefits of my internship, is that they understand that it is a two way street – a help to the organization, but also a learning experience for the interns. They have created a lecture segment (once or twice a week) where high-ups in the company share their story about how they came to work here, what they learned, what advice they have, and what they do at the company. By the end of the summer we are supposed to understand a few different ways to get to the same place and generally understand each of the complex facets and teams that make up this company. We’re learning about sales, music curation, and how the company was founded, from the VPs and founders themselves. They are extremely candid, passionate, hard working people. And they each have a different story.

We’ve had three speakers so far, with many more to come and I have learned so much about the company. Not only that, but hearing about how they ended up where they are now was the most fascinating part. By following someone’s career you begin to understand that there isn’t only one way to get to the same place. It was refreshing and inspiring to learn that even the VPs of this wonderful, successful company don’t always have it together all the time. You learn from trial and error and you hope that your previous experience will be enough to help guide your future decisions in the right direction. We always look up to people ahead of us, in more successful positions and put them on pedestals (often times they should be because they have done wonderful things), but you forget that they’re human too. You forget that even though they may look stable, put together, have it all, that they are chugging along like the rest of us. Some may find that upsetting, but I find that refreshing. It means that we are all searching for an ideal that doesn’t actually exist. That we can do great things without having everything. We just have to show up, be present, and have passion and determination.

I’ve been here two weeks now. I’ve learned something new every day. So far, so good.

One thought on “Learning from People in Power