All Girls

Things are looking slightly up since my last post, now that I’ve settled more into my internship. I also have a meeting with a potential beauty client later this week, which should be interesting. And, I’ve become close friends with at least one of the other interns at work.

One of my biggest surprises since starting the job has been the work environment. I think it may be one of the aspects about working at a fashion magazine that Scripps did as well as did not prepare me for.

How is this possible?

Both Scripps and the floor on which I work on are comprised of mostly all women. So, when I entered my new work environment I was not necessarily disturbed by the lack of men. I was, however, surprised by the differences between an all-girls college environment and an all-girls work environment.

Scripps aims to create community through the common bond of being a strong, independent woman. Scripps women are taught that women should support each other. And while I know Scripps has its imperfections as well, it has become clear to me that not every all-girls environment will be so deliberate and fostered as it is at Scripps.

In this way, Scripps didn’t prepare me for an environment that thrives on the superficial (it is a fashion magazine, after all), nor did it prepare me for an environment that is much more difficult to navigate than the pleasant teachers and refreshing gardens on campus.

At work it is sometimes hard to know who to trust, and my guard is almost always up. Gossip is common, and not everyone gets along. And while this bothered me initially, I’m O.K. with it now. It is unrealistic to expect that you will be friends with all of your colleagues. What’s more? Work is just that — work. It’s not always a place to find friends. I tried to pass this on to a colleague of mine, but it’s easier said than done, especially when work becomes a scene from Mean Girls. That said, the people in the office are relatively friendly.

What has Scripps taught me about how to manage?

Simple: smile and be nice to everyone. And, don’t let drama get to you. With a smile, you will charm everyone and they won’t have anything to say about you.

At least for me, it’s been working so far.