Work for your life, or live for your work?

This summer I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about my career post-Scripps, and what kind of job I would like. I wanted to try working at a publishing house this summer, to see what it is really like. While some aspects of my job are fascinating and interesting, other aspects are not always so great.
Watching my colleagues overwork themselves by not taking lunch breaks and working overtime everyday is not always the most encouraging when it comes to feeling good about my future career.
I see how stressed many colleagues are at work, and the toll it can take on their personal lives. On the other hand, I like getting dressed up for the office. I also enjoy working in an office setting, because it gives me the opportunity to constantly be in contact with different people.
I know I don’t want to be someone else’s assistant–I like to be independent with my work and think creatively on my own, rather than having someone else dictate my tasks, how long I need to work, or even when I can eat lunch. And yet, I’m starting to think that making your way up in the ranks is the only way to gain some control of this, if at all. There is a very clear hierarchy here, with interns and assistants at the bottom. But does it get much better on top?
The managers here spend their time going from one meeting to the next, or flying from one event in Paris to the next in Milan, and while it sounds glamorous and exciting, I’m not sure if the stress of having four meetings at once, or having never-ending phone calls, is worth it.
I know I want to be flexible, so I can spend time with my family, and also maintain somewhat of a social life. While in Germany, I am working in brand management; however, I think I would like the opportunities available to writers–because the work is more creative, and I would even have the opportunity to freelance, if that is the path I choose.
The trade-off?
I probably won’t get to go to so many different meetings, and the pay is probably worse. Instead, I will gain happiness and satisfaction through my work–two qualities I believe to be priceless.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *