The Puzzle

A few weeks ago, the director of my department interviewed someone for a position and the candidate talked about this concept that one of her previous jobs did. They bought a puzzle and whenever anyone needed a 5-10 minute break from work, they would work on the puzzle. It ended up being a social, relaxing, team building activity. As a result, my director took it upon herself (yes, the director is a woman with two kids) to buy a puzzle for the office. Less than two weeks and 1000 pieces later, the San Francisco skyline was finished.

There were two dilemmas I had with this puzzle concept: the first was that I was worried that if I worked on it, I would be seen as slacking off because I wasn’t working. The second was that I absolutely love puzzles!

With this being said, I decided I would contribute to the puzzle, because how couldn’t I? I love puzzles. But I would wait until there was already someone else on the team over there so that way, I would also be chatting with a coworker. I thought this was a win/win. You know what’s also a win/win? The entire puzzle concept! It definitely felt like a team bonding experience, and I did get to know my colleagues. There were some people who contributed more than others, but I think it’s mostly because they don’t like puzzles as much as I do. (Can you tell I’m obsessed?) But really, the concept is genius. And our next puzzle will be done as a competition between teams.

May the puzzles be ever in my favor!