Reasons to love Munich

It is hard to imagine that I only have one month left in Germany. I’m not ready to leave-it seems like just once I’ve settled in here, I’m moving on to the next place.

Copenhagen is looming over me, and the last days of summer are nearing. Just a few days ago, I got a package in the mail with some basic Danish sentences, but I’m not sure I’m yet able to pronounce any of them! Living in a country where I do not know the language will be a new experience for me. But while I am excited for the new challenges and adventures ahead, I know I see myself returning to Munich after college, and working here.

Here are some reasons why:

1.  The people here are generally friendly and open. In comparison to Americans, Germans like to keep a close group of friends, making it hard to break in as an outsider. However, I’ve found it easy to make friends in Munich, because the people are more willing to open their circles. Even strangers sometimes talk to each other here-a rare sight in the big city.
  2. Surfers. Where else do you find surfers in the middle of a city?? (And I don’t mean in the ocean!)
  3. There are over 400 publishing houses in Munich. Some say it is the New York of Germany, in that respect. Even though I do not want to stay in the fashion realm, I know there are plenty of other options for me.
  4. I have fallen in love with the traditional culture here. Not in every city in Germany will you see lederhosen on an almost daily basis, but in Munich, they have it all. It is the home of Oktoberfest, after all. I’ve worn my dirndl at least twice since being here! It’s nice to know that a modern city can keep its charm and traditions.
  5. I have family in Germany, and keeping my German roots active is important to me. I loved growing up bilingual, and now I can fully enjoy the benefits of that by living abroad, and also visiting family.
  6. Munich is also a green city. As someone who is minoring in Environmental Analysis, this gives me the option to further explore all of my interests in Munich, as well as to enjoy the lovely parks and lakes in and around the city.
  7. Munich is consistently rated a top city for quality of life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *