The Value of Scripps

In all the college tours I went on, guides had many reasons for me to attend their school.  I was looking at mostly small liberal arts colleges because I wanted close relationships with my professors and classes where I could not only have professors lecture, but also hear my classmate’s opinions.  I wanted a school where I would have relationships with my professors but also with the staff around campus.  I visited a lot of college campuses and many of the small schools I looked at offered this, in one way or another.  Students walking from place to place on campus knew the names of other students and students would shout out to a tour guide in passing, which always made the tour smile.

I had the same kind of small environment I have here at Scripps in high school, and while some of my classmates thought it was suffocating, I thrived in it.  I loved the close connections and relationships I had with my classmates, teachers, office staff, principle, counselor, and even janitorial staff.  It was important to me that I had a community encouraging me in the college process, and in completing my high school career.

As a tour guide at Scripps, as well as hearing my younger brother talk about his college search, I sometimes feel like I get a taste of the college process again (thank goodness I don’t have to completely relive it).  In searching for a college, I don’t think I ever understood all the benefits I would have at a small liberal arts college, or specifically here at Scripps.  As I mentioned, I often heard tour guides and older students talk of the many benefits you receive from going to a small college…. But I never really realized the extent of it until after almost a year and a half here at Scripps.

Here are some of the things I’ve come up with that speak to how important and valuable a small liberal arts education is…

1. The relationships you build here, at Scripps, will last a lifetime.  In such a small school, the school is your community, your environment, and your family.  While at larger schools there is a sense of pride associated with attending the same school as someone you meet, there is a sense of community associated with all Scripps students.  We’re a family.
  2. The small class sizes, many smaller than my classes in high school, prevent you from hiding, in the best way possible.  Your mind will be challenged.  Rote memorization is not a norm here.  My professors look to expand how I think and see the world, not provide me with information to regurgitate at any given moment.
  3. The opportunities.  Many if not all of your professors will know you personally.  Anyone from the wonderful woman who cleans your dorm to the president of the college may know your name and interests and care enough to see that if an opportunity comes up that aligns with your interests, it is sent your way.
  4. How it affects your career.  In looking at colleges, I was often concerned about the alumni connections of the school, the career development office, how determined students were to get a job after graduating, etc., I think the biggest importance as far as career development for a college is to teach students how to participate with the world they’re working in, in a way that can only better it.  Scripps, without a doubt, has taught me this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *