What Not To Do At A Career Fair

I went to my first career fair last fall. It was the Harvey Mudd Career Fair and I was READY. I attended every Career-Fair-Prep that CP&R offered. I researched at least twenty companies I wanted to talk to. I wrote three sentences about each of them and then I alphabetized that list so I’d be able to find each name quickly. So when I say that I was ready, I’m not kidding.

Yet, somehow, it didn’t go so well. But… at least it was a learning experience? I hate when people tell me that, but it’s annoyingly true here.

So today I’m going to tell you what I’m not going to do at the Harvey Mudd Career Fair this semester, and how I’m going to do differently. I hope you learn from my mistakes:

I’m not going to get super overwhelmed and lost.

I was told so many times about how career fairs can be overwhelming, but I guess I didn’t totally believe it. But it is. There are a lot of booths, with a lot of colors and banners and sometimes there are balloons. Everything is really close together and there are a lot of people. I’m going to take the map they give me, circle the booths I want to go to, and make sure I know how to orient myself according to the map AND IM GOING TO DO THIS BEFORE I GO INTO THE ROOM AND GET OVERWHELMED.

I’m not going to apologize for being there.

I started with the same spiel at every booth, “Yes, my name tag is correct. I am a psych major at Scripps but I’m still interested in working at *insert company name here.* … No, I don’t know how to code, but I’m interested in working in Human Resources. I know that’s not necessarily what you’re here looking for but if you could take my resume anyway…?” I’d ask as I trailed off awkwardly. It wasn’t a confidence-inspiring introduction. I’m going to proudly introduce myself and explain why I’m there. They won’t wonder why I don’t do computer science if I don’t give them a reason to.

I’m not going to be too embarrassed or awkward to ask for business cards.

I don’t like networking, but I’m starting to realize why it’s important. It’s one thing to apply for a job and just be a resume in a pile, but if I get a connection then I can be a person, and, with a business card, I have their email so I can remind them of that! Even though I still think it’s kind of awkward, I know it will be worth it. I’m going to say, “It’s been great talking to you and learning about *insert company name here* but I don’t want to take up too much of your time. Could I have your business card so I can follow up about opportunities with *insert company name here*?”

And then a few other bits of wisdom I’d like to pass on:

• The food isn’t for you. Don’t go sit in that area just to the left of the sign-in table. (I didn’t eat the food, but I did sit there, and it was awkward.)
  • When planning your outfit, remember it’s going to be hot in there. Put on a little extra deodorant that morning… Nerves + tons of people in one room = sweat. You’ll be glad you did.
  • Get at least some swag, but not too much! Bring a bag, or go to a table that’s giving bags, to carry everything. I got my favorite pen at the last career fair, and a really sexy water bottle.

Who knew water bottles could be sexy?!

If you have any career fair horror stories or advice, post them in the comments below so someone else isn’t writing a “What Not To Do” post again next semester!