The Best Piece of Advice I Can Give You

There’s less than one week left until summer break! Whoooooooooo!!!

I hope you’ve found my blog posts helpful this semester and that this last blog post inspires you to not quit during your career search, despite how tough it can be.

Two summers ago, I had my very first internship at a governmental agency. After the day was over, I went home and cried all night because I thought that everyone hated me. Despite being too scared to return, I managed to get on a train to Downtown LA the next morning and act as if nothing happened. The rest of my internship experience was phenomenal.

Last summer, I didn’t end up crying after my first day of work, but I was extremely worried that I set a bad first impression with my boss because I was being too annoying. I did end up crying during in my office during one of my lunch breaks one day because I had made a really huge mistake, but I made sure that no one saw me and that I continued doing my work after lunch was over. One of the assistants came over to talk to me later and asked if I was okay because I looked as if I had been crying, but I assured him that I was completely fine. It worked.

As an intern, I try not to make mistakes. Ever. And when I do, it’s often very dramatic because I don’t know what to do. Sometimes I don’t how the work assigned to me is meant to be done, I’ve made a huge mistake, or I behaved in a way that didn’t accurately represent who I was. In the future, I’ll probably still freak out over mistakes I make, but I’ve always laughed at how dramatic I acted when I thought I’d be fired on the spot for my mistakes.

The point is that one bad day won’t define your entire internship or job experience. I never gave up on any internship I’ve had, and I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had listened to my overly dramatic self many months ago.

I hope you have a great summer!