Brag About Your Blog

Looking to add more to your resume or cover letter, but too busy for another job or internship? Why not start your own blog? 🙂

Simple to learn and free (or cheap) to manage, a blog provides a fun way to express yourself as well as gain some professional experience. This CP&R blog is only one example. See two of my personal blogs below for some ideas:

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 3.26.23 PM

A more personal blog, StraightEdgeRuler includes stories about substance-free living, as well as newly added interviews from others about their experiences with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, sex, and college life. I write it as a sort of journal, as well as a representation of my values and interests in life.

This blog does not directly relate to my vocational pursuits, but it has certainly given me an edge when I apply for writing or media positions. Many of these jobs require or look for applicants with knowledge of WordPress, as well as general social media outlets.

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 3.26.43 PM

But what if you’re not much of a writer? No worries– you can express yourself in another way. How about art?

Online my art gallery blog, I include relatively few words as captions for the photographs I take. Instead of spending hours on my writing, I invest my time in photographing and editing. That being said, this can actually turn out quite time-consuming. But since I only update once a week, I still save more time on this than I would at a part-time job around campus.

Most importantly, I genuinely enjoy reaching out to an audience where my words will be digested and put to use. Writing is fun, and I hope to continue along this pathway for many years to come.

What are some of your favorite blogs to follow? What kind of topic would you like to write about in your own blog? Comment below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *