So What’s the Big Deal About Internships Anyway?

The word “internship” can sound daunting and oh-so-scary.It definitely seems to get the blood pumping and not in the “I’m an adrenaline junkie who jumps off cliffs for fun on my Saturday mornings” kind of way.

So let’s break it down into more digestible parts. Intern, according to the very handy dandy Dictionary.com means “to restrict to or confine within prescribed limits, as prisoner of war, enemy aliens, or combat troops who take refuge in a neutral country.” Alas, the reason for the anguish of many college students has now been discovered! Although the process of finding the perfect summer internship may make you feel like a prisoner, all jokes aside being an intern is not daunting or life threatening at all. Here in fact, is a much more relevant and accurate definition of an internship, “any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession.” Ahhhhh, that’s much better! See all those shed tears and yucky old tissues thrown by your desk are not worth it!

So get rid of that frightening schema of yours and learn to embrace internships! Let’s start together. On the count of three, you’re going to close your eyes take a big breath, in and out, and repeat that three times.

Ready…1,2, and 3!

Doesn’t that feel better? Just say yes for now, and if not, to help you start thinking about internships in the most delightful of ways, just start imagining unicorns, rainbows, and sprinkles and that will do the trick!

See it works, am I right or am I right?
Photo via Keep Calm and Posters

So according to the second (and factual) definition, internships allow students like us to gain practical work experience hopefully in the areas that we are most passionate about. Sounds just as fun as singing and dancing in the fields of Austria alongside Julie Andrews, right? (let’s just appreciate her amazingness for a good few seconds).

The-Sound-of-Music

Thank you internet for allowing me to fangirl Julie Andrews! Photo via IMDb.

Although internships, without a doubt in my mind, are wonderful adventures that help you gain essential skills no matter what your preferred field of study, these experiential opportunities can be difficult to come by and are often just as challenging once they begin. Now you’re probably thinking “no duh, internships aren’t all just a grand ole time and of course they can be challenging, but what does she know?”

Well this ‘she’ was lucky enough to work at one of the worlds most renowned cultural art institutions in the world. Through my wonderful summer learning experience, I have taken back a ton of fun experiences with me, including tips on what casual Friday really means for an intern, how to professionally and calmly react to the news that you are just twenty short minutes away from hearing Hillary Clinton speak, and how the heck to navigate an entirely unfamiliar metro system in a city that you just arrived in three days ago.

Now although I didn’t run into Francis Underwood from House of Cards or Olivia Pope (you should all know who she is) I did learn a lot during my wonderful summer internship and what the process of applying to get an internship entails. So stay tuned my friends, its going to be a long and bumpy ride as we take some sharp turns and go through some unfamiliar territory. It will be an exciting ride!

Do you have any fun internship ideas or stories? Do you love House of Cards as much as I do? Or if you think Scandal is much better, let me know! I would love to hear from you!

Until next time my fellow internship seekers!
Toodles,
Isabella

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *