LinkedIn

At the end of this summer and my fabulous internship, it was time to get serious about how to update my LinkedIn profile. When I started thinking about LinkedIn, I sat there trying to figure out what exactly LinkedIn is. To start with, I realized that LinkedIn is not necessarily as fun as say, Facebook.  Instead I would personally describe LinkedIn as Facebooks really braggy cousin. Now, there are a lot of websites that out there that tell you various different things about how to “do” LinkedIn properly. Most of us have figured out on Facebook, twitter and Tumbler but LinkedIn is something a bit different and way more scary…

According to LinkedIn, profiles with pictures are more likely to be viewed, with this in mind I decided to start here and to try and take a photo. The first thing, of course, is to look respectable, like a professional. This picture is going to be the first impression anyone looking at your profile is going to have. Not to freak anyone out, but it has become an important social networking tool. When I first decided it was time to finally take a picture for LinkedIn,  had just happened to wear a white and blue jacket with a red shirt. With these clothes on, all l needed was an eagle on my shoulder and I would be ready for a perfectly, patriotic picture for LinkedIn. I decided to change out of my accidently patriotic gear, and stood outside my closet for a long time thinking:

This is an important choice,something interesting, but professional, businesslike but also age appropriate. After finally figuring out what to wear, I had to find a neutral wall. Which was apparently more awkward that I thought it would be. My house does not really have neutral walls, my choices were dark burgundy, an awkward yellow color, or the one white wall against my bed. This had me sitting awkwardly on my bed while my mother took a picture.

Though my LinkedIn picture itself looks good, in reality I look something like this:

I am aware of how well the jacket goes with sock-monkey Pj’s, they really bring out the blue tones in each other. The most important thing that I am business on the top half, though perhaps one should not admit that they were wearing Pj’s in reality.