How to Crunch When Things Get Crunchy

It’s finally here: Crunchtime. Colloquially referred to as “hell week” on school campuses across the country, we’ve reached that point in the semester when it seems like literally everything that could possibly be due has suddenly made itself known to you–like the Murphy’s Law of due dates, if you will. Not only that, but it’s also that same time of year when students begin to hear back from all of the various opportunities they have applied for, such as jobs, grad school, spring/summer programs, etc., adding yet another thing to weigh on our already very occupied minds. Sometimes I find myself looking around at everyone around me doing all of these amazing things and working their butts off, and find it hard to believe that another whole semester has passed without even realizing it. It happens each and every year, but it always manages to catch me off guard.

This is how I feel when I think about how much I have left to do this week……slow zoom and all.

Obviously, not everyone is going to have the same “hell week” experience–it really depends on how many finals you have scheduled, how you’ve managed your time thus far, if you’re doing thesis, etc. But, from what I have gathered, the last few weeks of the fall semester are generally not the most pleasant of times for the vast majority of students. The worst part of all of this, for me, is that it’s not even that cold yet! Hello!?!!? It’s December! I just want to start busting out my various holiday sweaters I’ve been preparing to wear every single day of the week! But alas, not even a cold winter chill can assuage the end-of-semester funk I’ve been in the past few days.

Fun fact: Jimmy totally raided my closet for this segment.

A lot of this stems from the fact that, as a senior, I (still) don’t really know what I’m doing after I graduate. Many of my peers are just now receiving news–both good and not so good, as is to be expected–that will start them on their post-grad paths to becoming the accomplished, successful women and men that will change the world someday….or something along those lines. Point is, it can feel kind of discouraging to look around and see such great successes happening all around you, especially if you’re still waiting to hear back from wherever, you didn’t get the news you were hoping for, or if you just haven’t had enough time to focus on anything other than your school work this semester. This is not to say that all of these feelings aren’t valid things to be feeling. On the contrary! Take it from me, the queen of letting things pile up–these are all very legitimate concerns to have, and should be treated as such. Don’t lessen your own needs by comparing them to the needs of other people around you, because it’s not all that helpful for anyone involved.

Thanks, Most Interesting Man In The World. I believe in you, too.

As I’ve said, this time of year is when emotions can run particularly high, so the added pressures of “getting it all together” can often make you start to question a lot of things that you’ve done up to this point–have I taken the right classes? Should I have spent more time on that last essay? Did I apply for enough jobs? Could I be doing more? As far as the last question goes, the short answer is, yes, we can always be doing more. Long answer? We certainly can always be doing more, but the real question instead is: is do we need to be doing more? For example, there will always more opportunities to apply for, that’s for sure, but just because they exist doesn’t mean they are the right kinds of opportunities for you. Sure, there will likely be some disappointments as you start to hear back from internships, summer jobs, and even study abroad programs, but that doesn’t mean something else isn’t waiting for you somewhere else. That’s why resources like CP&R are so helpful, especially when the existential what-am-I-doing and how-do-I-adult kinds of questions start to come about, usually during stressful times such as these.

Ok but seriously, how do you adult?? Did I miss the instructional booklet that accompanies growing up?? Taxes?? Mortgages? What are THOSE???

The point is, when the going gets crunchy, you gotta crunch right back. This means working hard, taking care of yourself, celebrating with your friends when they get the good news they are hoping for, and consoling them if things don’t work out. Be excited for the cool things that your peers will be doing after they graduate, but don’t put yourself down if you’re not quite there yet. We’re all at such different places in our lives–be it in terms of our majors and intended fields of study and work, or emotionally and mentally–it wouldn’t make sense for us all to be doing the same kinds of things anyway. So, for now, focus up and finish up this semester the best you can. For my fellow seniors finishing up their thesis projects, we got this! It’s not like we have choice, but we’re almost there and its gonna be awesome! To everyone preparing for their finals and projects, and those starting to apply for jobs and internships next year, keep on keepin’ on–you got this too, believe me.

Just think: winter break is only a few weeks away, and then we can all sleep in as late as we want~! Talk about a great reward for all of our hard work 🙂

BRING ON THE CAT NAPS!!!