Post-Thanksgiving Thanks

This post would have probably been more timely two weeks ago, given its Thanksgiving theme. But it’s only now, after the first round of holiday festivities have passed, that I’m coming to terms with what I am most grateful for. This year, I am thankful for my community of friends, of family, and of Scripps staff and faculty. The importance of people has never felt more necessary and obvious at this point in time — coming to terms with graduation, writing thesis, applying to jobs, etc. When in doubt, it’s a comfort knowing you have somewhere to turn for help. I want to thank and reflect on the significance of having others to support you, because even the strongest people have their moments of weakness.

In college, we form second families right from the start. For me, it was on move-in day. I was greeted by my two roommates with hugs, not handshakes. Friends throughout college teach you to care, to think, and to act. Their confidence in you propels you into unknown spaces that may scare you, but knowing they will be there in case you fall makes all the difference. Friends throughout college will see you cry, scream, and cheer. You might win and you might lose, but your friends will be a constant. Rely on them when you need help writing a cover letter, ask them to double-check your interview outfit. The community of friends you will form at Scripps (at all of the Claremont College) makes all the difference not only in your personal life, but in your professional life as well. I thank my lovely, chaotic friends for all they’ve done for me these past years. I will take your hugs or your handshakes any time, any day.

My parents are the two pillars in my life who keep me standing and keep me going. I still don’t know what I want to do after I graduate, and for some miraculous reason, they don’t question me. Their lack of worry about my future is enough for me to want to keep searching. And although I may not find that “one thing” before May, I’m grateful enough to know they will always be there. I’ve come to find that celebrating the little career victories with your parents outweighs complaining to them about the mishaps. Because sometimes parents care too much, and then they start to worry, and then they add to the stress despite any good intentions. Lean on your parents to rejoice with you, they should always be your biggest cheerleaders.

My professors have been life changing. I feel like I’ve really become an academic with their help — like I can knock a cover letter out in 30 minutes flat and nail a conversation that requires critical thinking. But outside the classroom, I’ve become incredibly grateful for CP&R. And not just because I work there as a Career Consultant. I’m grateful for CP&R because it’s a second home, just like my friends are a second family. It’s the only office that has seen me celebrate the big and small victories, cry over personal and professional downfalls, and even dance every necessary happy dance. The counselors open up their minds and their hearts to students in ways I’ve never experienced elsewhere. They not only want you to have dreams, they want to help you fulfill them. And my fellow career consultants are some of the most passionate, supportive, and unique set of weirdos I have worked with the past two years. If you haven’t met with a counselor or a career consultant before, now is always the right time.

So to my friends, my family, my professors, and CP&R – thank you. There’s nothing like over-stuffing yourself with turkey and mashed potatoes to really get the emotions flowing.