Facing Our Fears

To be honest, getting rejected really…sucks (probably not the most eloquent word, but rather the most accurate).  It’s always that cycle of going back and forth of why you weren’t chosen for that one internship, scholarship, or award that you worked hard for and desperately wanted.  I can’t count the thousands of applications I’ve sent and getting no for an answer.  I definitely struggle with taking rejection personally because I have high expectations; it’s something that I’m still working on, but luckily I’ve been improving in terms of moving forward and focusing on the positive people/moments in my life.  The question that always pops into my head is “Why didn’t they/he/she/it choose me?.”  Of course, I’ll probably never know the answer, which makes it even more frustrating.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 12.48.21 AM

I’ve decided to focus this post on a more vulnerable subject, because it’s that point of the semester where most of us college kids are probably locking ourselves away in our study caves, figuring out what to do over the summer, and being zombies.  Juggling activities, classes, midterms, and applications all at once is mentally draining and stressful.  Even though some things may work out and some may not, one thing I have come to realize is the importance of self-care.  In college, we’re kind of thrown into this notion that we must be independent and mature, but also saying “I’m not okay” is perfectly fine.  When I was in high school, I grew up in a culture that didn’t have a lot of conversations about self-care and mental health.  Instead, some, if not most of us dealt with our emotions back home before the next school day started.  Of course, when I had hard times I would talk with my loved ones, whether it be family or friends, but I always had the misconception that I had to be doing something productive, quickly suck it up, and move on with my life. 

You are not alone.  It’s okay to take a break, watch Netflix, and eat junk food (although I do this more than occasionally).  I want to give a quick shout out to all of my dear friends that I have made on campus so far who have listened to me complain, cry, and stress about life.  I’ve definitely have been more open with those that I trust about getting rejected and not feeling okay with it.  I am eternally grateful for the immense support system that I have.  The most important piece of advice I have gotten is that getting rejected from something is never a reflection of one’s personal character.  Hard work will pay off in the end.  Sure, we may never truly know the reasons why it didn’t work out, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger (as cheesy as it sounds).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *