Finding Motivation

Hello readers and fellow college students!  First, I hope everyone enjoyed their spring break (although it definitely was not long enough).  This year, I decided to temporarily put aside school work and actually enjoy my spring break, which I usually don’t do because I always have midterms and work to catch up on.  I got to explore LA with my family, eat yummy non-dining hall food, hang out with friends, and even visit San Diego!  The reason behind this mentality?  Two words: Sophomore Slump. 

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 1.29.19 AM

At first I thought it was a myth, since my friends would describe me as more hard-working and studious, but even for me I feel it draining both my physical and emotional energy.  The symptoms of sophomore slump include: stress, pressure to choose a major, figuring out where to studying abroad, figuring out what to do over the summer, low motivation, slipping grades, and many other side effects.  Enthusiasm from freshman year is slowly dwindling, and there is a overwhelming feeling that we sophomores must try to get our academic lives together before the year ends.  Overall, one of the biggest challenges is actually translating our dreams of what we want to pursue in the future on to paper.  Although I am proudly declared an Econ-Accounting major, I still have no clue on what career I want to pursue.    Maybe the uncertainty of the future is what makes things daunting, but whether it be looking for internships, declaring a major, or even turning in study abroad forms, it can easily leave us feeling stuck. 

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 1.08.23 AM

Of course, I can’t just present a problem without proposing a solution.  Although we all may find different ways to boost our energy and enthusiasm, what I realized is that I needed to do something to change my daily routine, such as doing an activity I don’t usually do.  This could be finding a new study spot, reading a fun book, flower pressing (a great stress reliever), relaxing at the Scripps pool, or even making a bouquet at the rose garden.  These activities should be calming and relaxing, but if you enjoy doing more rigorous things, do what floats your boat.  As a short comment of solace, I have the uttermost confidence in my fellow hard-working Scrippsies that everything will work out.  To my fellow sophomore comrades out there; we can do it!

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 1.33.08 AM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *