Getting the Job

There is nothing worse than the weeks of anxiety that come after having applied to a job, and knowing that you’ll get some sort of response at some point, but not knowing when. Our modern age makes this time particularly volatile, as I can check my emails incessantly, an action that undoubtedly increases my anxiety. During college acceptance season last year, I often joked to my friends that it felt like we were living during the Cold War, waiting for the bomb to drop at any time. It was not uncommon to see kids break down during class, having peeked at their phones under their desk only to see that they had gotten rejected from a school. Waiting for this job to get back to me brought back those feelings of anxiety.

The job I applied for told me they would get back to me by the end of the week, but if I didn’t get a response, not to panic (as if that was something I could control). I had sent them a follow-up email after my interview, as the Gods who wrote the Career Services Guide had directed me to do, and when I hadn’t heard a response by the next week, I sent another quick email asking whether or not a decision had been made.

The reply I received was worse than rejection: “A decision has been made, and you will hear from us shortly.”

Shortly? Shortly?! I thought that meant by the end of the day- or the next day, when I still hadn’t received a response. In reality, it meant three days, during which time I busied myself with friends and schoolwork, trying to get the uncertain nature of my future off my mind. But at the end of three days, I got the best news possible- I had gotten the job!

broadcityyas

I so excited, that I ran into Mallott at brunch without swiping in, having seen my friends in there (I got yelled at and had to go back). I immediately texted my family, who told me they were so proud. I am still so relieved to have a set plan for the summer, and that I no longer have to worry about waitressing, because…

igotmoneynow

I still have a far way to go before becoming a full-fledged career woman- I’m texting my dad tomorrow to help me fill out all the paperwork for the job. But I’m glad I was able to take the first step in getting an actual job, at an actual organization. I’m a bit nervous due to the sheer amount I’ll have to work- the job is 9-5, Monday through Friday, working with young children. It’s more hours than I’ve ever worked before, and I have to get up early to go into New York with my dad, too. Talking to a volunteer there, I heard it was the most professional environment that they had ever worked in. Still, I know that I will get plenty of training before actually starting my job, and I’m excited for all the new challenges to come.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *