Summer Lab Experiences

When I went to talk to my chemistry professor about a test my very first semester in college, I never imagined that our conversation would be a segue into a discussion about potential research opportunities and a chance to do research over the summer. Once we had a more formal interview and I learned more about his work in the lab, I knew that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to work with him. I ended up working with Dr. Leconte for eight weeks this past summer along with five other girls from Scripps and CMC. I loved getting to know all the girls and fostering a relationship with Dr. Leconte, whom I now call by his first name. He treated us like graduate students and let us decide the course of our research which helped me learn valuable critical thinking skills, as well as how to think on my feet and manage my time well. At first, I felt somewhat out of place, unsure of whether or not I was cut out for the position and questioning my professor’s judgment of my potential. Working in the lab, designing my own protocols, and working mostly on my own, I gained a sense of confidence in myself and in my skills as a scientist, student, and learner, that will carry over into every other part of my life.

Picture1As in life, experiences in the lab rarely go as planned. Just like the adorable puppy has shown above, you can always be prepared, but I began to notice that even with protocols I had run multiple times, they often didn’t produce the results I expected. At first, this was extremely frustrating and it was hard not to become discouraged, but after talking with my lab mates and with my PI, I knew that it was very normal and a large part of life in the lab. I also found that because many experiments didn’t produce anticipated results, protocols ended up taking much longer than predicted. Similarly, I found this very frustrating, especially when executing an experiment for the first time. Oftentimes, I would only accomplish one or two things on my to-do list that initially had five or six items. What this taught me is that you never know how things are going to pan out, no matter how much you prepare or how experienced you are. The only thing you can control about those sorts of situations is how you react and how you choose to move forward. That was probably the single most important thing I learned and experienced this summer.

I have always been taught that worrying about things doesn’t make them any better, and this summer, I had the chance to not only get over that habit, but learn how to move forward, even when I was unsure of where I was going. What I realized is that starting to move forward is probably the most crucial step when deciding to move past your apprehension and keep going. Once I could assess situations thoughtfully, I was able to decide the next course of action and then execute those plans.

Learning to make quick decisions and follow through with plans is a lifelong skill that I know will help in future occupations and as a student. If you’re a worrier, how do you combat that apprehension? Have any advice for other readers? Questions about research at Keck? Comment below!

2 thoughts on “Summer Lab Experiences

1. Learning that things don’t always work out and how you react to those situations is a great life skill! Good to learn as a freshman.

2. I don’t have a lot of experience in a lab, so it surprised me to hear you say that you get different results when performing experiments. Wow. That makes me wonder about published scientific data altogether, then. How accurate and true are these results? Very curious. I enjoyed reading this blog, btw and learned a lot!! Thanks for posting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *