5C’s Happiness: Myth, Legend, or Naturalism?

One thing I’ve noticed here at the 5C’s is how happy everyone is all the time. Even though it sounds great, it’s not natural for people to be happy 24/7. In fact, it’s more natural to have days where you feel sad, or upset by something going on in your life, and it’s even more natural and healthy to let those feelings out. Although we’d like to be, it’s just not possible. As Meredith graciously states for us below, being happy all the time does not mean you’re mentally healthy. Being mentally healthy constitutes something different for everyone and no one’s mental health, or their coping mechanisms, should be compared to someone else’s. As my RA stated last year, “it’s okay not to be okay.” And she couldn’t be more right. Sometimes we feel like we should be happy because it’s sunny out and everyone is friendly and we get to go to school in Southern California surrounded by some of the most amazing people, but the truth is, sometimes we don’t feel awesome or grateful or glad to be here, and that’s okay. It’s totally normal, and it’s important to recognize those feelings.

I recently wrote a post on self-care, and although this is somewhat similar, I feel that it’s important enough to write about emotional wellbeing in addition to self care. I often feel that when I am sad or upset about something, I have nothing to warrant those feelings, when in reality, I have every reason to have my feelings validated. For me, it is hardest when I see that it’s sunny outside and yet, my inner mood is anything but a sunny disposition. I’ve also seen this happening with my friends and I really think that everyone could benefit from a quick reminder that it truly is okay not to be okay.

If you are feeling overwhelmed by your feelings, remember that it’s okay to let them out and that there are many resources to help you work through them, if that is something you would prefer.

Either way, you should feel free embrace your emotions and let yourself be not okay if that’s how you’re feeling, and it can be hard when everyone seems happy all the time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *