The Five Cs: Key Things I Look for at a New Job or Internship

There are always things that we look for in a workplace, both subconsciously and consciously. People look for friends, great benefits, nice facilities, fancy offices, and the list goes on and on. I know that I have certain things that I look for in a new work environment, and I’ve taken the time to compile some of these things into a list just for you! Let’s take a trip through the five Cs and talk about the specific things that I look for in a new workplace.

Communication

communicationOne of the first factors that I look for is how mush office staff converse with one another. I believe that communication is one of the pillars of good office relationships, both in terms of leadership and comradery. I like to feel comfortable communicating with my peers and managers, and I want them to feel the same way. Open communication lines significantly minimize misunderstandings, and misunderstandings that are minimized lead to better work environments. Hence why I look for the best communication strategies and communication styles that are compatible with mine when looking for a new job or employer.

Comfort

comfortComfort is the second thing that I look for in the workplace. If I’m going to be spending an abundance of my time working in a space, I want to feel comfortable in it. No, comfort may not come right away, there of course is a learning curve when it comes to any new work environment, but I look for spaces that I could see myself residing in for prolonged periods of time. No one thrives in a space where they feel threatened, so comfort plays a large role in the success of me and my peers.  I want my hours to be fulfilling and productive, and I know that I can do this in a workspace that is comfortable both physically and mentally.

Compassion

compassionCompassion, along with communication and comfort, makes a workplace a much safer space for me.  I am a very compassionate and empathetic person, and I want to work with people who are supportive in a similar way. If I’m having a hard day, I want to be able to talk about it with my peers without the fear of negative repercussions.  A supportive workplace is a more productive workplace because it is a safer space for both employees and leaders. I like to support my coworkers, and I look for spaces that will be supportive of me in my personal and work life simultaneously. Sensing compassion in a workplace and it’s employees is an integral part of this, hence why the next C is just as important.

Culture

cultureOffice spaces have different vibes, or cultures, if you will.  A culture is defined by a community of people that belong to a common space intellectually or physically.  In a workplace, this community is both physical and intellectual.  I look for office cultures that stress positive feedback and long term success because I want people to believe in one another and create lasting relationships.  Accountability, compassion, and communication all contribute to create a productive office culture, and I prize these aspects of office community above all else.

Care

careFinally, the last thing that I primarily look for in the workplace is passion for the work being done.  As I go into the world of animal care, I am extremely passionate about my future, and I want my coworkers to be too.  Passion inspires passion, and I want to feel fired up about my work and workplace when I step into the office every day.  Being in  a workplace that cares about its employees and clients is the core of this.  If a caring atmosphere is not present, and I don’t care about the work being produced, then I know that it is time to find a new career path.

Thanks for following along on this journey through the workplace! What do you look for in a new employer or job?  Comment below and share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *