Getting Ready for Work: The Low-Down on Dressing Up

Throughout my youth, I went to schools that implemented dress codes. These policies determined what types of clothes were appropriate and inappropriate school attire. Spaghetti straps were prohibited, skirts had to reach to the end of our finger tips, and clothing couldn’t be ripped or tattered, and could not contain profanities.

Usually, jeans and a t-shirt were the safest clothing choices in high school. Sure, some were inspired to dress up for classes, but for the most part, kids were constantly burnt out. Don’t get me wrong: I’ve loved fashion all my life. But between juggling school and homework, sports, extracurriculars and applying to colleges, I never had the energy to put together cohesive outfits. Most of the time, I simply threw on their comfiest pair of leggings and called it a day.

Then, I entered college, a place without boundaries for what can or can’t be worn. College has served as a time and space to experiment with my own style, and draw inspiration from my peers. There are no written dress codes in college: People have the liberty to wear what they choose, and get as dressed up or down as they please.

This year, I’ve started thinking more about life after college. I’ve started searching for jobs, and realize part of the process is engaging in interviews. These interviews are a crucial opportunity to prove your potential to the company or organization.

But interviews are more than holding an engaging conversation. In addition to prepping answers to potential questions, you must also consider the question, What should you wear to the interview?

To some, this question may seem insignificant, and even silly. You may wonder, Who cares what you wear? It’s about how you conduct yourself and whether you’re qualified. This is a valid point: Obviously, having great responses to tough questions is a vital part of the interview. But studies have found that those who keep care of themselves and “dress for the job” can be more successful in their work. After all, the interviewer’s first impression is their candidate’s appearance.

When I was in France, my advisor offered me some guidelines for fashion during orientation. I asked her how the French always looked so put-together yet effortless in their attire. She gave me a tip that I’ve since applied to my daily wardrobe: Create an outfit can be worn to work, to dinner with friends, and out on the town.

The key to achieving this look, she said, is by finding basic, yet classic articles of clothing. A good pair of jeans or a comfortable blouse can go a long way. The beauty of these pieces is that they can be worn several different ways, depending on the accessories you pair with them. Wearing something comfortable and versatile may be the key to not only constructing solid work attire, but also creating an outfit you could wear all day long.

Designer Rachel Zoe believes that Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak. It may sound cliche, but sometimes dressing the part can help you play the part. So remember to take care of yourself, and dress for success; you may be surprised how far an outfit could take you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *