Nailing Every Interview: Tactics and Preparation

This week’s blog will be all about interviewing since tomorrow, I will be completing the final round of interviews for a summer internship position! I will share how I conquer pre-interview jitters, how I prepare for the interview (the days leading up to the interview and the day of the interview) and some other tips and tricks that are essential to nailing any interview.

First off, I am basically going to be giving myself a pep-talk here, because I always get a little nervous before an interview, no matter how prepared I am. I have learned to use this stress and anticipation to my advantage, by being as prepared as possible and translating my nervous energy into a positive, upbeat attitude that tends to come across well in an interview.

My “thing” is rambling…

The week before an interview, I am glued to my computer preparing, extrapolating as much information about the company as possible from the Internet. A very useful site I have relied on in the past is Glassdoor, which provides an overview and facts about the company you search. Glassdoor also provides helpful tools such as past interview questions for different positions people have interviewed for, and often posts helpful articles and links that makes the “googling “process a bit easier for you. This site allows you to be a little more prepared as the day of the interview nears. I don’t fully rely on this site or the interview questions posted, but it never hurts to glance over what other people have experienced in an interview with the given company, just to cover all of your bases.

In addition, looking at any recent posts or news articles about the company through a google search (change the search setting to most recent) allows you to draw in current events in your conversation with the interviewer, and shows the interviewer that you have done your research and are passionate about the company. Needless to say-you should know the leadership of the company, who the CEO, President and Founders are, and why they decided to establish the company and their values.

For this specific interview I will be having, a huge portion focuses on company culture-so preforming an informational interview with a company employee beforehand, especially if there isn’t as much information online as you hoped, is incredibly helpful.

step-brothers-interview-o

Also remember to stick with business casual attire….

Overall, being prepared and coming into the interview with a very good idea of the product, company values, and current news about the company is incredibly vital.

The day before the interview, I tend to go over all of this information as a refresher and also, practice a few interview questions that are usually asked in an interview. In addition, I will make sure to have prepared a list of questions I plan to ask in the interview. Remember that you can also take this interview as an opportunity to learn everything there is to know about the company at hand, and your interest and curiosity can be highlighted by asking thoughtful questions at this stage too. Finally, if the interview is over Skpye (which mine happens to be), make sure you know your account login and have given the company the correct username to contact. Have your roommate or friend practice call you to ensure your sound and video work properly. It is vital to remember that every part of your communication prior to being offered the job is part of the interview. That being said, make sure to respond to all emails or calls in a timely manner, and always say thank you in each e-mail. The way you interact on a day-to-day basis with the employees taking care of your application speaks to how you will function every day as a member of the community there.

When the day of the interview rolls around, take a few deep breaths, and remember that, if you have done your research and practiced your main points, you will do great. Be yourself and answer the questions genuinely, your personality will shine through and allow you to create a meaningful connection with your interviewer. Say thank you and even send a follow up thank you email or card to highlight yourself as the best candidate for the position! Interviewing can be scary, but these few tips and tricks can help you alleviate a bit of the jitters and nervousness surrounding the interview process.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAfoAAAAJDRjZTg1ODQ5LTQyMGUtNGU1NS1hZDA2LWYwOTZkOGNjZWM4Nw

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *