Dealing with Burnout for Student Workers

We’re past midterms, past spring break, and in the final stretch of the semester. As someone who is taking five classes and working two jobs plus club commitments, burnout is a real issue for me, as it is for a lot of people regardless of how many commitments they have. Here are some of the strategies I’ve come up with for dealing with burnout.

1. Make time for self care, a.k.a. treat yourself in small ways. Self care is probably the most crucial detail in keeping yourself going through hard times, and you can do it in quick and easy ways. My favorite thing to do for self care when I’m pressed for time is to take a shower, use my favorite scented body wash, and then use my favorite scented lotion when I get out of the shower. I need to shower anyway, so adding a bit of luxury to the experience isn’t much of a stretch. It takes a grand total of fifteen to twenty minutes for this whole process, so I can do it as a quick relaxation technique during a study break or even in the middle of my day/afternoon/evening. When I have more time, I like to paint my nails, but when I’m in a hurry the shower-and-lotion technique works well, too. It helps me take just a few minutes to take care of myself as a reprieve from my busy schedule and to remind myself that I’m worth the effort.

2. Take breaks. I can’t stress this enough. Working for six hours straight on a project might seem “necessary,” but you’ll probably produce subpar work–and your boss or professor will be able to tell. It’s much better to take a quick break in the middle to grab a smoothie or chat with a friend or watch a couple of YouTube videos. This will also probably make you resent your project less and will keep you from hating what you’ve produced by the end. As a writer and artist, I have plenty of days when I work for hours to produce a piece and then hate it once I’m done–probably because you just can’t stare at something for that long. Just take a break. Avert your eyes from the project. Allow yourself a few deep breaths, send a text, enjoy some juice.3. Don’t drink too much caffeine. I’ve recently cut down on caffeine on a recommendation from a nutritionist, and it’s honestly made a huge difference. I’ve gone from two to three cups of coffee a day to one, and while it took a few days of adjusting, I think it’s worth it. Not drinking too much caffeine has regulated my eating patterns and makes it easier to relax and get some sleep at night.

4. Work in time for friends when you can. Mealtimes and study times are great for this–try to grab meals with friends when you can, or spend some time studying in the same room with your friends if you won’t distract each other too much. Otherwise, try to integrate friend time into your errands or other things you have to do anyway. For example, do you have to run to the pharmacy downtown? Invite a friend, get some iced teas at a cafe while you’re down there, and make a little event out of something you have to do anyway. Spending time with friends keeps you out of your own head, I think, and can really help me cut down on my tendency to worry. It’s also fun to hang out with people I care for.

5. Take some pressure off yourself. Ultimately, that C- you got on your midterm is not a big deal. In fact, I think a C- is a great grade. If you messed up something at work, it’s okay. You’re a student and an employee and a person–that’s a lot of aspects to manage at once. If you need someone to tell you that it’s okay to relax, then I’m doing that right now. Just don’t worry too much; cut yourself some slack in the way that you would cut a friend some slack. It’s going to be okay. Good luck.