Networking with your peers

Many people shirk at the concept of networking because it has a slimy connotation to it, like you are using people for your own gain.  As I have said time and again, I think of networking as developing personal, learning relationships.  Some of these relationships can follow you through a lifetime and some are short, providing you with information when you need it.  And networking is a two way street, it gives you the opportunity to raise others up and help them achieve their potential.

You may not have considered it before but your peers are actually a hugely important part of your professional network.  After all, through your majors, activities, and friends you are developing close connections with people that have similar interests to you.  And this form of networking is far less formal than trying to make contacts with professionals because you do it every day just by being a social human being.  Here are a few tips for developing your personal network amongst your peers

Get involved!

This one can almost go without saying but try to connect with or get involved with groups that do things that interest you.  It can be something like a professional society but it doesn’t have to be super formal.  Find clubs or volunteer positions that focus on things that you’re passionate about.  Finding likeminded people that you connect with over an interest makes it that much easier to form friendships and relationships.  And you never know where people are going to end up, so being respectful is key.This Is Probably The Last Of These Ill Do For Him GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Don’t be afraid to ask for an informational interview!

This can be for people that you don’t know as well but might want to get to know better or learn from.  I got one of my internships this summer because I got in contact with a senior who interned at the company.  I just emailed her and then met her at the Motley one afternoon.  I learned a lot from her experiences and she was able to pass me on to the people who would eventually become my coworkers and bosses.  It can be intimidating to reach out to people randomly like that but people usually want to help and are more than willing to share their experiences.Soulpancake GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Enjoy yourself!

I know, I know everyone says that college is a fleeting time but it’s true, you have to enjoy it while it’s here.  Responsibilities are constantly pulling at your brain and networking is one of those things that you always feel like you should be doing but never get around to it.  Take a deep breath.  You are doing it already and don’t even realize it.  Never underestimate the value of the people around you.  They are going to be your biggest advocates and supporters going forward because they know what a wonderful person you are!

Happy The Office GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *