Careers That I Do Not Want and Why

The best career advice I have ever received was from my father. He has always emphasized that I choose a career that I love, regardless of how lucrative it is.

“If you do what you love and you do it well, the money will follow.”

As important as deciding what I love is, it has also been essential to rule out some of the things that I don’t love. Below I have detailed some career paths that I am certain that I am not interested in:

Mathematician. I dislike math more than any other academic subject out there. Conceptually, I do not know why I can’t wrap my head around math. I know that it is unrealistic to assume that my career with have nothing to do with math, but I aim to keep it as minimal as possible. I suppose that simple algebra is okay. I enjoy seeing it applied to chemistry, biology, and physics. I would even say that I enjoy the statistical side of biology. However, if you ask me to find the derivatives of such and such, I will probably shed a few tears. I attribute this to the fact that I have not really had a math teacher that actually enjoyed math and enjoyed teaching it since middle school. This has made math very minimally rewarding to me.

Similar careers that have been consequently ruled out: Engineer, Actuary, Architect, Economist, Accounting, etc.

https://giphy.com/gifs/geekandsundry-woman-l44QkVjrTiBgettq8

Personal Trainer. Don’t get me wrong—I love working out. But, it takes a lot to get me to the gym. It’s one of those things where once I am there and the workout is completed, I feel great. But, I do not have the personal motivation to go on my own. I have to register for PE classes that require attendance in order to make sure I am working out. For this reason, I don’t think being an athletic instructor of any kind would be a great career path for me.

Similar careers that have been consequently ruled out: Dance teacher, Yoga instructor, Athletic Coach, Athletic Therapist, etc.

Pocket Workout Fail GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Lawyer. I don’t have a great explanation for this other than the fact that the whole concept just isn’t intriguing to me. I don’t really love history, politics, or law. I would not enjoy memorizing anything in these fields and there are simply more passionate and better-suited people for this career.

Similar careers that have been consequently ruled out: Politician (Senator, Governor, Mayor, Congressman, etc.), Historian, Policy Analyst, Pollster, Curator, Paralegal, Stockbroker, etc.

https://giphy.com/gifs/facepalm-lawyer-ally-mcbeal-q1to6dXEZA7sI

Chef. I am not great at cooking and have minimal knowledge of food. I eat pretty clean for the most part, but primarily because I am picky.

Similar careers that have been consequently ruled out: Restaurant Owner, Nutritionist/Dietician, Food Service Manager, etc.  

Youtube Cooking GIF by SoulPancake - Find & Share on GIPHY

Which careers are you not drawn to? How did you rule them out? Comment below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *