History Major with…?

It seems to have been my entire life that I have decided that I want to study history in college. I find joy in seeing the patterns of the past and relationship to current events. I have always loved learning about and uncovering the way of the things before me. The stories of the past lure me on.

I know what you may be thinking at this point; what would you do with a history major? Are you thinking of becoming a professor? A historian? A lawyer? Or one of those over-educated and underpaid people?

To be frank, I do not know. That is why I am planning to take a second major – something more practical as a potential job choice.  Currently, I am trying out Economics. I have found the two AP Economics exams to be relatively easy (but it is said that the Economic AP’s are the easiest). Three years after the exam, I can still freshly remember the relationship between demand and supply as well as the various graphs they are associated with the exam.

This semester I am taking the Introductory course to Microeconomics with Pedace. I hope this course will help me get a better understanding of my potential relationship with Economics. Businesswoman? A stock market person? A financial consultant?

To compliment this attempt, I have also applied to join the Scripps College Economics Society. And I am sending resumes to various economic-related internships for the summer. The goal is to see what fellow Economic majors do whether I belong there or not.

Another that major that I am interested in trying out (after getting brainwashed by a Tedtalk) is Computer Science. This is irrefutably one of the most popular majors of our age. Not to mention, our good neighbour, Harvey Mudd College has a phenomenal program in CS. The resources are literally a street away.  Just thinking about having the words “double major in History and Computer Science” feels amazing.

Yet, I must keep in mind of the reality. I have no little knowledge and experience with computer or science. I have little confidence in my math skills. I am not even a science-oriented person…

Next semester I plan to take CS5 from Harvey Mudd. Hopefully, this will show me whether I can or cannot get the nice words of “double major in History and Computer Science” next to my name.

In the meantime, I shall continue to explore other options. Let’s see where this goes…