“So, What Are You Going to Major In?”

The summer before leaving home for college, first-year students are constantly asked “what are you going to major in?” I never had a definitive answer. I would usually reply with a vague “I’m not sure”, or sometimes, “I am going to a liberal arts college, I’m not supposed to know what I will major in yet”. I knew I did not particularly enjoy STEM classes, and kind of enjoyed writing, but did not feel the urge to declare my love for any one subject just yet. In addition, I did not believe in the assumption behind the question. How are students who have not taken a single college class supposed to be certain of the academic path they intent to pursue?

College is a time for self-discovery and for taking classes that you enjoy and are genuinely interested in. Now that I am in the midst of my second semester at Scripps, I have a better grasp of what subjects interest me, and what subjects definitely do not interest me. I see my potential major as a puzzle and I’m discovering the pieces that will make the picture complete. Last semester, I took an “Introduction to Digital Art” class where we learned how to use Adobe Photoshop and created portfolios of our work. Through this class, I discovered my interest in video editing. My Writing 50 class reminded me of how much I enjoy analytical writing. Taking French 22 and French 33 taught me that I enjoy the grammar of French but do not enjoy comprehension. I am now taking Psychology and find the topic intriguing and applicable to so much in life. Through taking Macroeconomics, I am discovering that I probably won’t be an Economics major but can benefit from understanding basic economic principles.

While I will probably change my mind more than once, I currently see myself majoring in Psychology and minoring in Media Studies. Even though I have not yet taken a Media Studies class, I plan to next semester and have a feeling that I will enjoy it.

I think that one of the biggest lessons the first year of college is teaching me is not taught in any course: the lesson to accept and be at peace with uncertainty.  I am in the habit of constantly trying to plan every aspect of my days and of my future. Planning gives me great comfort and a sense of security, and it helps me feel in control. College is teaching me that even though I do not yet know what I will major in, let alone what I will eat for lunch tomorrow, that’s ok. What I do know is that I am going to take amazing classes, continue my passion for learning, and, eventually, discover what my major will be.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *