An Interview Nightmare

An update from the depths of the semester: While I am still deep in the summer internship search I am thrilled to announce that I will be interning part-time at Activision/Blizzard Studios! I am incredibly excited about this opportunity and cannot wait to get to work. Even though I have the position secured I am still searching for a second opportunity to fill the rest of the week.  That brings me to what my blog topic for today: Interviewing.

I just had one of the most nerve wracking interviews of my life.  I got an email from a major studio recently requesting an interview and I couldn’t have been more excited!  It sounded like my perfect internship. I did everything you’re supposed to: I researched the company, I prepared points about my past positions, and I viewed my interviewer’s LinkedIn profile. 

I thought I was completely prepared when I sat down for the interview.  I found out a few minutes into the call something that pulled the rug out from under me.  Due to a communication issue, I believed that the position was for scripted TV Development (shows with pre-written scripts).  But the position was actually for an internship in unscripted TV (reality TV and game shows)!  I felt the blood drain from my face I was so shocked.  Everything I had prepared for the interview was useless.

GIF by Saturday Night Live - Find & Share on GIPHY

I thought on my feet as best as I could and still had a pleasant conversation but, needless to say, I didn’t get the position.  While disappointing, I’m trying not to be too hard on myself because I’m not sure the error could have been prevented.  I’m still searching for a second opportunity to fill out my week, but at least now though I have survived the worst and I know things will work out alright in the end.