Dear High School Self…

I distinctly remember pacing my dad’s home office one afternoon senior year of high school.  I was almost in tears, worried about the future.  At this point, I didn’t even know where I was going to college yet so in retrospect, it was way too early to be thinking about planning out a potential career.  It was probably the stress of applications and senior year talking but I was so potently distraught that it is almost hard to think of the memory now.

I wish I could go back to that panicking 17-year-old and tell her not to worry (not that she would have believed me).  I would tell her that things will work out how they’re supposed to.  The best piece of career advice I could give to myself then would be to take a deep breath because you can’t see what the future holds yet.

I hadn’t yet gotten to college where I would discover, through experiences and my majors, that I wanted to work in entertainment.  You can’t always plan and figure out the grand plan because you simply lack the experiences necessary to make the path clear.

It is so easy to get into a trap of worrying about what you’re going to do after graduation.  When were younger, the idea is impressed upon us that we need to “decide what we want to be when we grow up”.  After listening to many people’s stories, I have found that there really is no ultimate goal of something to be.  Your career path can be as fluid and as nuanced as you are.  People change over time, and their goals will change.  What sounds appealing now may not in a years’ time.  And that’s ok!  Work with the information you’ve got, give it your all, and things will come together like they’re supposed to.

Joanne The Scammer Lol GIF by Super Deluxe - Find & Share on GIPHY