There’s No Rest for Career-Seekers

Summer is quickly approaching.

As we enter the 3 months away from classes, each student is trying to figure out what they are going to do next. Since you are away from school, how do you keep the momentum of developing your career?

This summer, I intend to be in Claremont planning the SOAR trips for the incoming class of 2022.  I want to learn as much as I can about planning large events while giving back to the Scripps community. Pursuing any opportunity that you feel good about is something worth doing. As students, we learn from every job and internship we get during our undergraduate years to help us shape whatever we want to do in the future.

I do need to make sure I finish my double major, so I am looking for courses to take this summer at nearby colleges. Undergrad is all about learning about yourself and I will through my major, but I want the opportunity to take interesting elective courses. Taking summer courses is a great way to free up some time during the school year and give yourself the chance to do more with the months we are on campus.

Finally, one of my professors has put me in contact with people at theaters in Pasadena. Pasadena is very close to Claremont, so on my time off from planning SOAR trips I can drive down there and learn a little bit about theater outside the college environment. The entertainment industry is very much reliant on connections, so more emphasis on the “who you know” rather than the “what you know.” I have been working on my networking skills, since coming back from the CP&R trek this spring break. I want to work on emailing individuals who have positions that intrigue me.

I forget how many careers are out there that do not fit under the classics like doctor or lawyer. Another important tool is the internet. I google everything that even slightly interests me because everything helps you learn more about yourself and what you want to do.