Four Pieces of Advice for First-Years

It is difficult to believe that I only have 2 weeks left of my first-year of college. I feel like it was just last month that I was anxiously registering for my first semester classes. Despite a few bumps in the road, I have accomplished much more this year than I could have imagined. Based on my experience, here is my advice for incoming Scripps first-years:

1. Keep Your Options Open

I had no idea what I wanted to study when I started at Scripps, which is perfectly normally. I also felt pressure to choose my major as many people around me seemed to have it all figured out. I tried out some potential majors this year through taking introductory courses in Economics and Psychology. I realized that I’m not really crazy about either, which is ok! Next semester, I want to explore Anthropology and Media Studies. The beginning of college is all about figuring out what you like and don’t like, so definitely take advantage of this time to explore before you have to start fulfilling major requirements.

1. Find a Mentor

Mentors have been a great help to me this year with finding an internship, expanding my skills, and choosing classes. My older sister has generously helped me with my internship search, by prepping for interviews with me and looking over cover letters. Virginia, my boss at the Office of Parent Engagement, has patiently taught me to navigate the Thank Q CRM and taught me how use many other tools such as Canva, iMoudles, and Hootsuite. This year, I realized that the whole Scripps community is your mentor. Specifically, the Scripps College Current Student Facebook page is a great place to ask questions about classes or professors.

1. Take Advantage of the Resources at Scripps

Scripps has an abundance of resources that students don’t always take advantage of. If you’re bored on a Friday night, you can purchase discounted movie tickets from the Office of Student Engagement. If you’re stuck on where to start your resume, you can set up an appointment with CP&R. If you are having trouble in a class, you can request a tutor through Scripps’ Tutoring Program.

1. Get Involved

Through getting involved at Scripps and the 5Cs this semester, I have discovered many new interests and met people I wouldn’t have otherwise. Through working as a Development Manager for The Student Life, I have created connections in the journalism community at the 5Cs and discovered my interest in creating partnerships. Through blogging for CP&R I have confirmed my love of writing, which played a large role in my ability to earn my summer internship where I will be blogging as well. I have been amazed by how opportunities, if you take advantage of them, lead to other opportunities.

While the first-year of college can be daunting, be confident that you will learn so much in the upcoming year, meet many interesting people, and eventually find your place at Scripps.