Sprechen Sie Deutsch? (Or, how I landed a dream internship)

As I look at the bright Claremont weather outside my window, it seems difficult to imagine that just over a week and a half ago I was in Germany, bundled tightly in three layers of winter jackets, braving the snowy weather.

Why was I in Germany? I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a discounted flight and spring break.  And while Germany may not sound like the typical spring break vacation (sadly I didn’t get to visit a beach!), I was able to get a head start on my summer internship search.

I am a self-designed writing major, but apart from my activities at Scripps, I haven’t had vast amounts of experience in the professional media world. So, I made it my goal to find a summer internship at a publishing house this summer. As someone who is bilingual, I also wanted to find an internship that would allow me to continue to speak German. I see myself working abroad after I graduate from Scripps, and I wanted to gain some international experience.

Over spring break I had two job interviews with publishing houses, and I managed to land my dream internship in the marketing department for one of the biggest publishing houses in Germany (!!!).

What I have to look forward to: this summer I (hopefully) won’t need three layers of winter jackets!

Here are some tips for those wondering how I managed it:

1)    Be patient.

Opportunities won’t just land in your lap; you have to work for them! Don’t give up if you don’t hear from someone right away, or if you get the response you weren’t hoping for. Breathe.

2)    Network, network, network. It really does work.

A few months ago, CP&R invited a Scripps alumna from Hearst Magazines to speak with students about her job. I made sure that I spoke to the alumna one-on-one after her meeting with us, got a business card from her, and wrote to her within 24 hours asking if she had advice about internship opportunities with Hearst.  She responded the next day, and was very supportive by putting me in touch with colleagues that eventually led me to one of my interviews in Munich. Ever heard of six degrees of separation? This time it took me 4.

3)    Try a practice interview to gain confidence.

A month ago, I had an interview on the phone with an entertainment and media company. I prepared for the interview by answering mock interview questions, until I perfected my responses. Ultimately, it didn’t work out because they were looking for someone who was able to commit to a longer time span. But, when it came time for my interviews in Germany, I wasn’t nervous, and I was able to confidently explain why I was a good candidate for the job—in another language!

Have you ever interviewed for an internship abroad, or had a positive experience networking at Scripps? Feel free to share in the comments.

One thought on “Sprechen Sie Deutsch? (Or, how I landed a dream internship)