Thinking About Thesis

This isn’t just a blog about my internship search, though that has been the focus for at least the past several entries. The blog is also about me as a student – specifically as an international relations major – and as a future employable unit. (I know, inspiring.)

I’m essentially done with my junior year. As I write this, I have one final left to take, but by the time this is posted on the site, it will be over and I will be as good as a senior. There’s a weird thought. It’s not just about classes anymore: I will have to balance that with thesis, preparing for post-grad plans, and hopefully some sort of social life. The senior women who have been posting this semester have inspired me to keep on top of things; I know that if I stay organized I will be able to succeed.

My thesis is due in less than a year. For most of my peers, this means three months of relaxing summer (or internships) until it’s time to get back to anything academic. Personally, I know I always have to be busy. A 40-hour workweek is a great start for the summer, but I’ll need more. Luckily, during class in DC I was inspired by our discussions and have already formulated a rough thesis topic: The Effects of Globalization on the Future of International Conflict. I could not be more excited about it and I can’t help but smile when I tell people about it. Most of my friends tell me I’m planning way too far ahead, but I disagree. I know that having the summer to narrow my focus (e.g. define “globalization” and “international conflict”) and shape a more specific topic will be endlessly useful in allowing me to get ahead – and hopefully stay ahead – in the fall. I also plan to take advantage of my surroundings. Once again, I’ll be in DC, a place I love because it’s so busy and bustling. Now that I have a basic idea of what I want to study, I will use my ten weeks there to make contacts and set up interviews with people who work in my field of interest. At the very least, I’ll get some information for my thesis. At best, I might make valuable contacts who can help me find a post-graduate position in a field with which I am obsessed. It’s a win-win situation and I couldn’t be more excited to dive right in.

One thought on “Thinking About Thesis

1. Disclosure: I am Lia’s sister and I am very proud of her.

That said, thought I’d add my thesis advice to any juniors out there planning their summer thesis prep. The number one thing I regret from working on my thesis was that I found so many great books in the fall and didn’t have time to read them. I ended up skimming and finding relevant sections, but I’d recommend getting a start on finding and reading relevant books and articles over the summer. If your thesis is truly something you’re interested in, this should be a good way to keep that interest going, fuel some ideas, or even help you choose a topic. Just make sure to take good notes as you read so you know where your ideas are coming from and can cite accordingly!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *