CP&R Drop-in Hours

So the process has begun.

Yesterday, I started my first internship application, writing up a draft of my cover letter, figuring out which clips to submit, emailing people for letters of reference, and tailoring my resume. I did my best to research what the internship required and would entail, and even contacted the person to whom I’m submitting the application with further questions.

Especially since this is one of the more competitive internships I’m applying for (I can’t know for sure, but it’s a guess), I’m making use of CP&R as much as possible. Today, I stopped by during drop-in hours and was helped by one of the student workers, who went over my resume and cover letter very closely, making really good recommendations.

Officially, here is my piece of advice to every and any student applying for an internship or for a job—and CP&R will love this—GET HELP FROM CP&R! It was great!

When I first started my cover letter on Sunday night, I felt very unsure about myself. I haven’t really written a cover letter before, and it all seemed pretty iffy—what should I write about, how should I write it, etc. Eventually, I worked out something acceptable. After being helped in CP&R, however, I took those comment and critique-covered pages back to my room and tackled them some more. The cover letter may still not be the best it could be, but I actually feel good about both that and my resume now, and it was even kind of fun—because, let’s be honest, what’s a better mood-booster than preparing a couple documents making you sound like a competent, witty, and brilliant person?

I am pretty nervous, since this is the first internship I’ve applied to and the first time I’ve really gone through this process. After being helped at CP&R though, I no longer regard the internship application process as a “necessary evil:” time-consuming, daunting, and nerve-wracking. Of course I’m still a bit nervous, but as I said, it was kind of fun, too. (Then again, this is coming from someone who thought college applications were kind of fun, too.)

Worse comes to worst—even if I don’t even get considered for an interview—at least I will still feel proud about my cover letter and resume.