Be Fabulous

I’m having a serious first world problem today: I don’t know what to wear. Because I generally work four to five days a week, my “school clothes” must also function as my “work clothes”. Of course, it’s not that I’m expected to uphold a stringent dress code at any of my workplaces, but it’s important to exercise some common sense. For instance, when I give campus tours Thursday afternoons, I make an effort to wear comfortable walking shoes. On the other hand, when I work the morning shift at the Sallie Tiernan Field House, I simply wear my staff t-shirt and pack clothes to change into.

I find that dress codes at most workplaces are becoming more casual, especially in California, which is known to be laidback and relaxed. I know many young professionals who dress business casual on most days or at least on Fridays. But what is “business casual”? Does that mean I can ditch the sheer tights? Or even better, does that mean can I just wear jeans to work? The workplace is definitely not where you should test-drive the newest avant garde fashions, but even as professionals, we cannot help wanting to maintain our individuality.

Every girl knows the basics: close-toed shoes, tame makeup, and absolutely no plunging necklines. Nevertheless, there are some grey areas we must learn to navigate. Is this dress too short? Is my eyeliner drawn on too thickly? Situations such as these are when we most need to exercise good judgment. What may be appropriate at Barney & Co. may be inappropriate at Muppets, Teletubbies, & Sesame Street. The bottom line is that our coworkers may perceive something we feel comfortable in as tasteless. Thus, I adhere to six very uncomplicated principles:

1. Keep it classy. Pretend your boss has your grandmother’s sensibilities. This means you will swap the bedazzled UGGS for a pair of elegant black heels. Or at least I hope you will.
  2. When in doubt, chicken out. Maybe today is a cutout dress kind of day. But most likely, it is not.
  3. I like tights. This is just a random fact about me. It is always appropriate to wear tights. It’s Friday, go crazy! Pair a simple black dress with merlot tights. Oh em gee, you totally look South Market!
  4. Put the Jeffrey Campbells down. Wear flats. If you’re a college student like me, you’re probably working at the service level. And there’s nothing wrong with that. It just means you will probably be on your feet most of the day.
  5. If competitive cheerleading taught me anything, it’s BOBBY PINS + HAIRSPRAY = YES. Even if you’re just wearing your hair in a ponytail, you will look that much more put together.
  6. “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.” – Coco Chanel.

Now go be fabulous! P.S. I start a new job as an assistant at the Clark Humanities Museum today. How do I look?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *