Much needed advice

Though spring break was meant to be a relaxing and peaceful, I instead spent the whole week freaking out and having minor heart-attacks about post-grad plans. As a result, I aimed to write a couple of cover letters and a few emails to alumni/ae everyday. Though I was not as productive as I hoped to be (which usually happens) I was lucky enough to have an informational interview on the last day of break. Through one of my mum’s friends, I met up with a woman who works at a big cosmetic company and who also just moved to Hong Kong from New York City a couple of years ago. The meeting was filled with great advice and interesting stories, but in the end, she gave me a reality check with a lot of constructive recommendations. Here are some of her key points:

1. “In an interview, you need to voice your passion.” Even if you don’t specifically know what you really want to do within the organization, proving that you love the industry and that you know a lot about it will impress your interviewers.
  2. “Really study the company that you are interviewing for.” She told me that before LinkedIn and Facebook existed, she would go to the reception of the company days before her actual interview and try to ask as many questions about the company.
  3. “Understand that internships are hard.” One of her horror stories: An intern at a fashion PR company, had to fly once a week for three months to Abu Dhabi to drop off clothing samples and fly back to New York the next day. She doesn’t know what happen to the intern in the end, but I really hope that they gave her a job afterwards.
  4. “Try and find your interviewer on the LinkedIn website.” Knowing where they have worked before can bring huge benefits. While chatting away during your interview, you might be able to bring up some connections, which may make you a more memorable candidate.
  5. “Work super hard and people will notice.” Many employers have worked from the bottom up, so they understand what it’s like to be an intern or newly employed. Most people will not hand you more responsibility or a job if you are lazy.
  6. “The more glamorous the company, the less the pay.” But if you love your job, then hopefully it won’t matter as much!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *