Book Club

When I was in high school, I looked at reading as either enjoyable or academic, sometimes the two coincided, but I never really thought about reading as an activity that could teach me how to manage my finances, how to network effectively, or teach me about the ins and outs of a company.  However, I’ve recently found that books can teach you exactly that.  So, in the spirit of winter break, and the large amounts of free time I expect you will all have (just kidding, I know you’re all busy, but reading is a great leisure activity), I’m going to set you up with a fantastic reading list.

1. I Will Teach You to Be Rich, by Ramit Sethi.

He also runs a blog, http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/, which has similar information on it.  This book basically teaches you everything you need to know about personal finance in simple, clearly laid out steps.  He’s a cheeky guy, but straight, to-the-point, and his book is definitely worth a read.

2. Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg

If you haven’t read this, you really should ASAP.  It has been the talk around Scripps, and whether or not you go into business, this book will make you think.

3. Delivering Happiness, by Tony Hsieh

This book is largely about the creation and functioning of Zappos, but it’s a great inside look into a business.

4. Ask For It, by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever

Ask For It was an optional reading assignment for my Core II class, Economics of Gender and Choice, taught by Sean Flynn and Nancy Macko.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance to read it this until the summer, but it was well worth the wait.  It’s about negotiating as a woman, and basically made me want to negotiate everything with everyone, and I’m not even a big negotiator!!

5. Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

I recall having to read Freakonomics and write a paper on it in high school.  When held in the academic arena, I found the book much less interesting.  However, somehow I was intrigued enough to read Super Freakonomics and LOVED it.  Its bold, funny, and interesting.

Have any others?  Post them in the comments below!!

One thought on “Book Club

1. Lean In and Ask For It are available in the CP&R library. Stop by after break to check them out. (Now we have ideas for a few new books too!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *