Director?

I’ve recently become interested in the idea of becoming a director.  Either a film or theater director although I think I would be more interested in film.  It suits my skill sets.  I love working in teams of people and I love fostering people’s creative energies so they can reach their fullest potential.  I love working on and managing large projects.  But for some reason I’ve never actively perused the potential career path.  Why have I shied away from something that could potentially be so creatively wonderful and works to my skill sets?

I believe the thing that has held me back is my fear of the more technical side of the job.  I have little experience and no expertise in lighting, sound, ect for either film or theater.  And I always assumed that this was something the director had to know to realize the vision of the production.  But as I have been learning more and more about what a director’s job entails in both worlds, I’m finding that is less and less true.  Of course you need to be able to know how to work with those mediums but the director’s job doesn’t necessarily require expertize in those fields.  That’s what designers and cinematographers are there for.  Your job as a director is nebulous, to create and realize the vision for the project.  How are you going to convey the story you have been given?  A large part of the job is working with actors and having acted for most of my life I believe I could pick up on this skill quickly.  You mostly need to have a certain creative spark.  I’m not sure if I have it but want to know if I do.  In the future, I hope to direct more, either short films or small student shows, to see if I have what it takes.  Can’t hurt to try!

Film Action GIF by Alexander IRL - Find & Share on GIPHY

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *